Custom Wheel Builder - MTB
Custom Wheel Builder - choose your hubs, axle types, spokes, nipples, rim and lacing pattern. Get a price, place an order! The default, and cheapest, wheel set is built with Hope Pro 4 hubs, DT Comp Double butted silver spokes laced 3 cross, silver alloy nipples and Stan's ZTR Crest rims. This wheelset will cost £359.64. If you require a cheaper set we can recommend an "off the shelf" wheelset from Hope like these Hope Hoops.
To give you as many options as we can we've designed the Custom Wheel Builder. Make your choices - and when the order is placed we'll confirm the spec and delivery time. For in stock parts the build time is 2-3 days, if anything is out of stock the build time will be up to 7days. We'll be as accurate as we can, and will keep you informed if there are any delays! Not sure what you want - give us ring and we'll advise accordingly.
For component specs - see
- MTB Hubs
- MTB Rims
- Spokes - we recommend 32 spokes for lightweight rims, laced 2 cross or 3 cross. The spoke type depends on your requirements - how laterally stiff you like your wheels, how powerful you are, and how light you want them. Here's a quick guide:-
- We Build with the best quality stainless spokes from DT Swiss and Sapim . We only use double butted, triple butted and bladed spokes
- Double Butted Spokes - these are thinned in the centre to save weight and increase their elasticity which greatly improves the ride feel. It also increases the fatigue strength, or lifetime of the spoke. The most common spoke is butted from 2.0mm at each end to 1.8mm in the centre (DT Comp, Sapim Race). Lightweight DB spokes are thinned to 1.5mm in the centre (DT Revolution, Sapim Laser) so build a lighter wheel with more flex - no less a "strong" wheel - just liable to more lateral flex. Sapim D-Light spokes are thinned to 1.7mm in the centre - so are a bit heavier than the Rev and Laser spoke, but add a bit more lateral stiffness - ideal for lightweight 29er wheels!
- Triple Butted Spokes - DT Supercomp spokes are thinned from 2.0mm at the hub end to 1.7mm in the centre, then back to 1.8mm at the nipple end. They were designed to be a lightweight spoke with more strength at the hub for disc brake forces - ideal for all MTB disc wheels - especially lightweight 29er wheels.
- Bladed Spokes Sapim CX-Ray spokes are lightweight double butted spokes (2.0/1.5mm) that are rolled in the centre to give a flat aero profile. This also increases their fatigue resistance due to grain orientation modification during the blading process - and are regarded as one of the most durable spokes available. They are bladed with 0.9x2.2mm profile so can be used with standard drilled hubs - no slots necessary!
- There are other spokes - but we build with these as we consider them to be the best. Please ask if you're not sure - give us a bell on 01746 712882!
|Hub - Front|
|Hub - Rear|
|Hub Colour (when available)|
|Front Hub Axle|
|Rear Hub Axle|
|Alloy Nipple Colour (2.0mm only)|